Thứ Bảy, 7 tháng 12, 2013

Final thoughts on SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE

Here’s what I liked about THE SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE (or SOUND OF MUSIC TAPE DELAYED on the West Coast). It was event television. The show got big numbers and yesterday everybody was talking about it. So rarely in this age of individual viewing habits do we as a country get to have a shared experience that isn’t a football game.

I give Carrie Underwood props for bravery. That’s a big role to fill in front of 30,000,000 viewers and I thought she did the best she could. She’s a great singer. But she can’t act. She just can’t. There were moments that were painful. But then moments that were magic when she sang. I know there are purists who disliked the fact that a young country singer was playing Maria, but if young singers don’t embrace this music and expose other young people to it, the music will fade into the mist. Sure, it would have been way better if Anne Hathaway did it, but if I were running NBC I’d take Carrie Underwood – subpar acting and all – in a heartbeat.

Broadway pros Laura Benanti and Audra McDonald were solid (although I’m not sure there were African-American nuns in Austria back then… maybe so), and the kids did a great job. Some of those sets were very unwieldy. Anytime there was a scene on that mountain I held my breath. There were a few bobbles along the way but frankly, that’s what made it fun. It was LIVE. As long as the kids didn’t screw up (which thank goodness they didn’t) I was happy. Kids don’t need the trauma of goofing up in front of 30,000,000 people here in the day of snark.

With the success of SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE, we can expect other big name musicals to get the same treatment. Please Fox, don’t do MY FAIR LADY with Brittney Spears. The next one or two will be attract interest and then by the time they do PAJAMA GAME with Lena Dunham the trend will be over.

But congratulations to all concerned... except Wal-Mart.  Thank God I could fast-forward through their commercials.

What did you guys all think?

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét