Thứ Bảy, 1 tháng 2, 2014

AMERICAN HUSTLE meets Beaver Cleaver

This is an aircheck of me as Beaver Cleaver my first night on WXLO (99X) in New York. June 1, 1978. At the time I was also on the air on KTNQ (TenQ) in Los Angeles. I was just filling in on 99X. Oh, and I was co-head writer of MASH at the time too. But I thought this aircheck had been lost forever (maybe it should have been). It was during my celebrated "out of my mind" period. The station style was high energy so that's what I was, by God. Not the best approach for someone who doesn't have a voice like James Earl Jones.

But I always had fun on the radio. And never prepared. Some jocks would spend hours compiling their ad libs. I figured if I couldn't think of one funny thing to say every three minutes then there was something wrong. Of course, the downside of that is not every joke worked. But hopefully enough did.

With all the disc jockeys of the day sounding exactly alike with interchangeable names, I wanted to stand out -- be entertaining and even a little perplexing.

Thanks to Matt Steinberg and Airchexx.com for digging up this goofy show and posting it.  (Now if I were Quentin Tarantino I'd sue.) 

Here's the link to the broadcast.  Note:  the aircheck has been "scoped."  This means the songs have been cut out.  You can hear a five hour show in 40 minutes.   So head back to the days of AMERICAN HUSTLE and Crazy Eddie. 

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét