Thứ Năm, 6 tháng 2, 2014

FROZEN: My review

With the Winter Olympics getting underway, I thought today would be a good day to talk about FROZEN.

FROZEN is an example of how you can take a formula, but if you do it really really well, you can produce a terrific movie.

Think about it – FROZEN has all the elements of a successful Disney animated movie. Get out your checklist.

Mythical kingdom
Pretty princess who is funny, down to earth, and looking for love
Uplifting catchy songs
Goofy character for comic relief
Danger
Adorable forest critters
Sight gags
Magic
True love
At least one dead parent (this seems to be a Disney staple)
Evil bad guys
A happy ending

Plus the movie opens with a work sequence that might as well be the 7 Dwarfs in the diamond mine.  It's "Whistle While You Work" meets "the Volga Boatman."

They don't miss a trick. Uncle Walt would have been proud. And since he’s apparently frozen himself, the subject matter would really resonate.

But the creative team really pulled it off. A story that captures the imagination, the best songs in many a kingdom, and a cast with the likes of Idina Menzel who can sell the tunes like nobody's business.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie very much but was not swept away by it. I blame myself, not the film. Had I not seen 20 others ones that were similar, or had I been there with a child so I could share the wonder through her eyes, I might’ve had a different reaction. Still, I very much appreciated the film and marveled at its craft.

And full disclosure: Now that my kids have grown I tend to go to animated children’s movies at 10 p.m. when the children are all in bed. Who needs their caterwauling while I’m trying to find the inner child in myself?

Like practically every critic, I recommend seeing FROZEN. If you have kids they’ll be singing the songs. And once it comes out on Blu-Ray, parents of small children, you will be watching it on a continuous loop for a year. I’m just seeing it once. And tipping my mouse ears to the Disney animation unit. Hope you do as good a job with the Broadway version, ice show version, direct-to-video sequels, and ride.

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét