Thứ Năm, 5 tháng 7, 2012

Before I blogged I drew

In my book, THE ME GENERATION... BY ME (GROWING UP IN THE '60s), which you should buy already, I talk a lot of cartooning and doing caricatures during my teen years.  I went through a real Al Hirschfeld period.  He was the caricaturist of the NEW YORK TIMES for sixty years.

Once I got to the UCLA campus radio station KLA (all of this great stuff is in the book) I did the posters for them.  I was so terrible on the air I probably would have been fired had I not been able to draw.

Anyway, one of my KLA colleagues, Sharon, recently unearthed a couple of the posters.  So I thought I'd share them today.

This was for a concert we presented.  Since everyone knows exactly what each member of the Grassroots looks like, you can see how expertly I captured them all.
Likewise, you know all of these people of course.  By the way, Bill Pearl became Billy Pearl (a very successful disc jockey in the '70s who wound up on KHJ), Steve St. John became Steve Weed (a long time successful program director and jock with stints that included WXLO New York and KIIS Los Angeles), Don Enright became a well-known TV and movie producer, and Vincent G. Thomas is Tom Greenleigh who went on to own radio stations. 

I haven't drawn in a few years.  Maybe I'll pick it up again.  Let me know if you have a concert you want promoted. 


0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét